Sunday, July 15, 2007

Jackaroo

On Friday I had a funny lost in translation event.


I got an email from a Chinese business acquaintance who had recommended a potential summer intern to us. We interviewed her, were impressed and hired her. She and I actually chatted about James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, which is an absolutely bizarre topic during an interview for an internship with a Chinese logistics company, but I admit that it was one of the more interesting interviews I've done recently.

In any case, afterwards, my acquaintance, who speaks even less English than I do Chinese if you can believe that, wrote me the following short email in English. She must have either got help from a friend or used one of the internet translation programs. I quote:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for accepting Miss Pan as a jackaroo in your company.

Sincerely yours

Tang Li Li

All I can say is that it never hurts to have an extra jackaroo on staff, particularly one who can talk to you about James Joyce.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there nice blog i am from india just visit my blog pls www.amazingtruth.blogspot.com

bigbrownhouse said...

I had to go look this up, and the first few entries I opened define a jackaroo as a male trainee or apprentice on an Australian sheep ranch. So...except for the parts about Australia and sheep ranching and being male, it's a perfectly reasonable translation.