Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Flat earth

I went to India for the first time last week.

The first thing that struck me about India is not the poverty or the press of the masses, but instead a mustache concentration has to be unrivaled anywhere else in the world. I kept thinking, are there really that many off-duty cops in this country?

We made a stop in Bangalore, which is sort of Ground Zero in Thomas Friedman's Flat Earth world. I thought that the UK, US accent options in this sign for English lessons was sort of funny. There's actually a decent number of manufacturing activities in and around Bangalore, which is what brought me here. I ended up eating lunch in the employee cafeteria of a large consumer electronics distribution warehouse. My mom has always been a quasi-vegetarian, so I picked up some of those tendencies growing up. I think if you are strict vegetarian then India's got to be one of the best places to live because they have so much vegetarian food and a lot of it is very good. Bangalore itself has a very nice temperature, sort of like San Diego, though it's landlocked and much more polluted. The town itself is a bit nicer than most of the other Indian cities we saw, though there is quite a bit of the hodgepodge disorganized zoning here. This is the place where I definitely saw the most foreigners. We had lunch at an amazing hotel that I think was called the Leela Palace. It was huge, old-ish looking and had really pretty gardens.

No comments: