Monday, February 18, 2008

Flower markets

Today after stopping in at a design company to look over some plans for a new office we’re moving into I stopped in at the Hongqiao flower market to get some flowers for Jenny, today being Valentines Day. The flower markets here are fantastic, particularly if you’ve got botanical leanings. There are quasi-wholesale markets in different parts of town with a huge variety of plants and flowers. I love just wandering around in them. The orchids are the best part for me. They have long been my favorite flowers – the colors, the shapes, the symmetries. In college when working on a paper for an evolutionary biology class I remember checking out this book by Charles Darwin on orchid pollination and evolution. It had been there for probably 20 years and it had been checked out maybe twice before! Anyway, orchids, cut flowers and plants are cheap in China so I load up.

No comments: