Friday, September 7, 2007

Six Records of a Floating Life

I read a short book called “Six Records of a Floating Life” recently. It’s an autobiography by a Chinese man, Shen Fu, who lived in a Chinese city called Suzhou a couple of hundred years ago when China was still relatively untouched by the West. It was a fairly accesible window into another world. He wandered fairly precariously between jobs and cities around China during his life. The six records are supposed to be six chapters, but I got to the end and had only counted four. I went back to the introduction, which I skipped, like most introductions, and found out that the last two chapters were lost but the title and the first four chapters remained. (If I ever write a book and there is an introduction I’ll make sure I don’t call it an introduction to catch all the intro-skippers like myself). The first section is the best, which is largely a description of his marriage to a wife who died relatively young. A very touching and almost wistful description of the affection between them. Lovely stuff and a good short read – maybe 150 pages.

No comments: