Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Yellow fish mobile

Here’s an end of summer picture taken in front of our house on the way to the community swimming pool. The three wheeled bike acts as a minivan of sorts for us in our neighborhood. The kids pile in the back and love it. You see these all over China, but they are usually hauling a 5 foot high pile of old cardboard, some watermelons or maybe a pile of used tires. When Chinese people see me pedaling around with three kids in the back they think it’s hilarious. In Shanghai the Chinese nickname for these is “yellow fish mobile” because in the past they were often used by local fishmongers who bought piles of yellow fish from the Yangtze River or its tributaries and pedaled around the neighborhoods selling them. I paid about US$35 for it and I think the shopkeeper that I bought it from thought I was totally crazy because he couldn’t imagine what I would possibly be using it for.

No comments: